Our Story

HISTORY OF CHURCH WOMEN UNITED OF TAMPA

 

In 1941 some women had a vision and saw a need for an ecumenical religious movement.

          THEY WORKED TOGETHER.

In 1945 the first president of Tampa CWU was Gladys Tabor. They had a vision and

          THEY WORKED TOGETHER.

In 1957 the Clothes Closet opened in downtown Tampa. Women had a vision and

          THEY WORKED TOGETHER.

In the 1960’s CWU reached out to all Christian faiths. Women had a vision and

          THEY WORKED TOGETHER.

Throughout the decades women's issues have come forward, the women had a vision and

          THEY WORKED TOGETHER.

In 1996 Tampa CWU Clothes Closet burnt down. The women still had their vision to provide for lower income families and

          THEY CONTINUED TO WORK TOGETHER.

1st United Methodist Church provided a temporary spot for the Clothes Closet. Sometimes challenging but

          THEY CONTINUED TO WORK TOGETHER.

In 1997, under the guidance of Ann Scott, a new building was found for the Clothes Closet and

          THEY WORKED TOGETHER.

Today – Because of the women who came before us with a vision, we can continue to reach out to those in need and provide a very needed service in downtown Tampa. We are God’s servants, with a smile on our faces and giving in our hearts and

          WE WORK TOGETHER.